Friday, November 15, 2013


 Car Accident Injuries: Not all doctors are the same
Find a doctor who is an expert in treating car accident injuries

I have learned a great deal in my 28 years of practice treating car accident injuries. Insurance companies are not going to make it easy for you to get compensation for your medical bills and your pain and suffering. That's just the way it is. 

So it is imperative that you find a doctor who specializes in the recovery of car accident injuries and understands what insurance companies want. Also, finding a pain treatment center with truly beneficial services designed for your recovery can also make a huge difference. Most doctors have good intentions but often lack management skills that can inhibit your recovery and hurt your case. Here are some of the things to look for in an accident injury doctor. 

#1 An injury doctor that listens and takes good notes to document your complaints, flare-ups and daily disabilities.  If this isn’t being done, then it doesn’t exist. Documenting an injury from a car accident is everything, and this is how an insurance company knows you are truly hurt. Make sure your doctor is listening to you.

#2 Find a doctor who is helpful to your physical needs. If you tell your doctor your tired of taking medication and want something different, then you should be given the option to receive other services like a chiropractic approach, myofascial massage, physical therapy or pilates rehabilitation. Also, the more services provided under one roof the better. If conservative treatments aren’t helping then a pain management M.D.  may help as surgery should be your last option.

#3 The level of examination performed on you should be of the highest standard. 
The quality of examination varies between doctors. If your doctor doesn’t spend adequate time taking a good history and performing an excellent examination (ours takes over 1 hour) then that leads to an inaccurate diagnosis, missed injuries and possibly improper treatment. This is considered poor documentation to the insurance company and they may not fully understand or believe the extent of your injuries. One example is not doing an adequate orthopedic and neurological examination. The very basis of referring you out for diagnostic tests or to a specialist hinges on what the doctor finds during this part of the examination by determining the extent of your injuries. 

#4 The doctor should refer you out for MRI or proper diagnostic testing
if warranted. I cannot tell you how important an MRI (Magnetic Resonance
Magnetic Resonance Imaging
Imaging) is and how it allows a competent injury doctor or chiropractor to rule out disc, facet joint, congenital or acquired pathologies to help find the cause of one’s pain. You may have an injury that is more serious then you think and the only way you, your doctor and the insurance company are going to know about it is with the proper diagnostic tests.

#5 The doctor should refer you out to other specialists when needed. In most cases, one doctor alone will not be enough unless you have a more minor self limiting injury. Your car accident injury doctor and the accident recovery center you choose should have a strategic plan of pain treatment options to get you the best care you deserve.

Article written by Dr. Kit Langstroth D.C. 916-925-2007
Email:   Website:
Nephesh Chiropractic - Sacramento Injury Chiropractor